Congregation Beth Shalom is seeking a three-quarters time Program Director with demonstrated skills in event coordination, marketing and administration in a collaborative organization. A successful candidate will be a community builder with a high degree of knowledge about Judaism, Jewish education and Jewish holidays.
A candidate who possesses the skills for both the Program Director and B’nai Mitzvah Coordinator positions may be able to combine both jobs for a full-time position with benefits. (see B’nai Mitzvah Coordinator job description.)
Desired skills include:
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Strong communication skills
- Excellent writing skills
- Highly organized
- Able to work efficiently and accurately
- Able to multi-task and prioritize
- Significant experience with Microsoft Office, including Outlook, Publisher and Excel
- Experience with website editing and social networking
- Ability to learn quickly
The Program Director reports to the Executive Director. The Program Director understands and promotes the mission and core values of Congregation Beth Shalom while developing and overseeing the synagogue’s holiday and community programming, the adult education program and the yearly calendar.
- Organize and oversee synagogue programming.
- Create and oversee new programming opportunities to meet the needs and vision of synagogue members, the board and clergy.
- Work with the adult education committee to develop classes and hire instructors.
- Publicize classes and support registration process.
- Work with the membership committee to ensure that newcomers feel welcome and are integrated into the community.
- Cultivate volunteers from among newcomers and longer term members.
- Oversee regular class and program evaluations.
- Write content for community advertising and internal publications.
- Use Microsoft Publisher to develop marketing materials.
- Write thorough, clear and precise event instructions to ensure proper custodial support.
- Provide staff support to several synagogue committees, including: Adult Education, Social Action Committee, Membership, Programming and Israel.
The Program Director works a regular daytime schedule with occasional evening meetings (1-2 per month) and weekend events. The Program Director is expected to provide some coverage on most Jewish holidays.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an individual to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. In performing this position, the employee:
- Continuously exchanges information through listening and talking with clients, synagogue staff, volunteers and individuals in the community.
- Frequently stands, walks, sits and climbs in performing duties and in traveling to off-site meetings.
- Frequently reaches and grasps in using telephones, computers and in general operations.
- Frequently lifts and carries up to 35 pounds of paperwork, files and materials.
- Frequently to occasionally performs close work while updating files, reading program information and using computers.
For all inquiries about the job, please contact email@example.com. In-person interviews for finalists will take place in mid-May. Salary depends on experience. This position is part-time and does not include benefits.
To apply, please send a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please use the subject line Program Director position - <insert your name>.